HEM Data is pleased to announce that it has written a book entitled Data Acquisition from HD Vehicles Using J1939 CAN Bus. It is published by SAE and available from SAE and directly from HEM Data.
The focus of the book is how to acquire and correctly interpret data from the in-vehicle network of heavy-duty (HD) vehicles using the SAE J1939 standard. The book presents an introduction to CAN, the building block of J1939, and guides the reader through various SAE J1939 standards.
The reader will learn how to determine the available parameters on HD vehicles including their accuracy and sample rates, and how to acquire and convert messages to scaled engineering parameters. Finally, the book presents practical applications including diagnosing intermittent problems, duty/drive cycle analysis, and web-based dashboards to summarize fleet data.
HEM Data’s products are used in a wide variety of applications for on-road and off-road vehicles that include:
- Calculating Fuel Economy, road grade and vehicle weight
- Diagnosing/Servicing vehicles including intermittent problems, such as a bad torque converter or faulty A/C unit
- Testing electric, hybrid and alternate fuel heavy and light duty vehicles
- Transferring CAN/OBD/J1939/analog/tri-axial accelerometer data using WiFi or cellular
- Streaming real-time data
Read our past eNewsletters for applications of our DAWN hardware and software. Topics include Fuel Economy, Diagnostics/Service, Electric Vehicles, Telematics, and CAN/OBD/J1939 information.
Testing Advanced Vehicles
HEM Data is on the forefront of testing advanced vehicles. Some of the vehicles tested are the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Prius Plug-in and more.
HEM Data will help you with your OBD and J1939 CANbus data acquisition and analysis solutions:
- Develop custom web-based dashboards to automate your analysis and display of data. DAWN Dashboard
- Analyze your data
- Develop smart phone applications
- Calculate fuel economy improvements of your product versus the standard vehicle. Fuel Economy examples (of 111 vehicles)
- Reverse engineer competitive vehicles
- Acquire data from advanced vehicles such as the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Prius Plug-in and more. See Testing Advanced Vehicles.
- Provide training on HEM Data’s products
Watch an example application of our OBD Mini Logger. It is a 17 minute video about time series anaylsis that is provided by one of our customers. This is also an area where we provide consulting.
HEM Data Corp. conducts seminars for the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) entitled Acquiring & Analyzing Data from Sensors and In-Vehicle Networks. This seminar covers the traditional way to acquire data directly from sensors and the exciting newer alternative to acquire data directly from the in-vehicle network. The in-vehicle network could have hundreds of parameters available to you without adding any sensors: Dozens of parameters with OBD-II and hundreds more with EOBD for light-duty vehicles. For medium and heavy duty vehicles using J1939, you could acquire more than 500 parameters.
If you want this seminar conducted at your location or tailored to your applications, please contact HEM Data at email@example.com, or call (800 436-4330).
The next SAE seminar date is October 12 & 13, 2017 in Troy, Michigan.